Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Outside Plant (OSP) Designer
at BHC Rhodes
- Regular Full-Time
The OSP Designer is responsible for all aspects of OSP design including office design, field design, drawing markup, permitting, quality control, quantity takeoffs, and construction specification development for various telecommunications projects.
We're looking for the kind of people that our customers want to work with.
Providing the level of service we're committed to, takes great talent. That's why we promote a progressive work environment with constant growth opportunities. With continuing education, professional development, competitive benefit programs, and diversity, are all core to how we build teams. We position our customers for success by positioning our employees for success.
- Design fiber Optical Distribution Network (ODN). Incorporates following key elements into the ODN and/or non PON fiber plant;
- Splitter cabinets, vaults/hand holes, man-holes connected, splice locations and splice details, cable slack loops, butterfly drawings.
- FDH and FDT placement/stubs/location, Patch panel assignments.
- Tagging and label information, fiber identifiers, cable naming, fiber counts.
- Bonding & grounding requirements, route markers & tracer wire utilization, drop placement & type
- Design dark fiber and non PON (Active Ethernet) pass through fiber routes with associated splicing strategy and other schedules such as link loss budgets as requested.
- Prepare designed route, permits, fiber splice designs and permit/construction package, prepare BOM for the designed routes.
- Contribute to the overall quality of the OSP build process by reviewing, recommending and implementing improved policies and procedures.
- Verify project conformance to engineering design and document deviations, their cause, and impact.
- Provide risk and project assessments based on design and location aspects, reporting any projected scheduling problems (i.e. Pole make ready delays forcing reroute to underground).
- Input OSP fiber route data into corporate CADD/GIS geo-mapping system as existing, new, and re-route requirements demand, specific design details for special crossings (e.g. river, rail) special attachments such as bridges for special permitting.
- Design to meet practical cable pulling strategy
- Provides direction to technical staff during drawing production.
- Utilizes electronic data collection technology as appropriate.
- Assists project manager with the development of project bids by producing manpower and productivity estimates.
- Interact with staff members of BHC RHODES, public agencies, and the Client.
- Potentially 20% travel for design verification.
- 2 years’ experience in ODN fiber design engineering preferred.
- Knowledge of fiber construction techniques.
- Able to propose a location for buried telecommunications utilities considering all existing surface and/or subsurface improvements.
- Able to record information accurately and have knowledge of interpreting utility drawings, public works improvement drawings, and construction specifications.
- Preferred familiarity with ODN Infrastructure Network Planning and Fiber Information Management (FIM) system schema standards.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to work well with others, flexibility as priorities change, and sensitive to deadlines and customer needs.
- Experience with AutoCAD and ArcGIS is preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detailed oriented, well organized, and effective at multi-tasking.
- Must be available for periodic travel as a function for the job for up to 2 weeks at a time. Capable of walking several miles per day over rugged terrain
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.