Topeka Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Paraprofessional - At Risk - Avondale Alt.
at Topeka Public Schools
Title: Paraprofessional I - At risk
Reports To: Building Principal
Position Purpose: To assist in providing a beneficial learning environment in which all students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Completion of 48 hrs college credit or passing score on equivalency exam
- Ability to successfully accomplish/complete the annual in-service training
- Conscientiously accept and follow directions
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Exhibit sound judgment
- Adapt to a variety of situations
- Fundamental understanding of students and the learning process
Physical/Emotional Requirements: (The incumbent may be required to use the following skills and abilities during any part of the working day.) Speaking, hearing, manual dexterity, mobility, lifting (as much as 20 lbs.), pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, sitting, handling a variety of stressful situations, flexibility in adjusting to varied levels of pressure and intensity, patience, calmness, persistence.
Performance Responsibilities: Instructional responsibilities will be as assigned by the certified supervisor. The list below has a variety of expectations which may be assigned. This is a representative list and is not meant to be all inclusive.
- Assist in daily instruction and training
- Assist students in achieving their individual objectives
- Record/chart student data
- Perform related clerical functions such as telephoning, typing, reproducing, and greeting visitors
- Set up equipment for class work
- Monitor students when the teacher is otherwise occupied
- Under the teacher’s direction, evaluate work of students
- Communicate effectively with patrons and students
- Participate in daily and long-range classroom/lesson activity planning
- Conduct learning exercises and tutor groups of students an individual students
- Alert teachers to special needs of individual students
- Provide escort and assistance to students as assigned
- Help maintain organized work and study environments
- Assist with supervision of students
- Collect and display suitable materials in educational displays
- Operate and care for equipment
- Distribute and collect materials used for instruction
- Guide independent study, enrichment, and remedial work
- Assist with supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, field trips, lunch, and recreation periods
- Read to students, listen to students read, and participate in other forms of oral and written communication with students
- Assist students in the library, computer or media center
- Serve as a major source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher
- Maintain ethical and confidential behavior about the students, learning environment and school.
- Participate in in-service training programs
Terms of Employment:
9 months; salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board policy on evaluation of Classified Personnel.
The performance responsibilities are not limited to those outlined in this description and may include any other responsibilities as assigned by the administrator/supervisor.
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)