Dairy Farmers of America, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Director, Sales - Taste & Flavor
at Dairy Farmers of America, inc.
Job TitleSr. Director, Sales - Taste & Flavor
LocationKansas City, Kansas
Review customer and market assignments to ensure the best sales method to meet the customer's needs and maximize sales performance for both direct and indirect sales. Advise senior management as to sales strategies, competitors, market trends, and future growth opportunities. Create and sustain effective collaborative partnerships with all managers, internal cross-functional teams, and inter-company divisional peers. Drive improvements in the sales process and organization to increase the overall effectiveness of the sales team. Ensure customer focus among internal partners including Operations, Customer Service, Marketing, Accounting, R&D, and Technical Services to support and achieve growth-oriented volume and revenue goals and objectives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sales Volume. Understand volume targets for assigned territory and customers, both individually and for the team. Consistently achieve those objectives. Grow sales through current customer base as well as new customer development. Lead sales forecasting for area of responsibility.
- Gross Profit. Understand gross profit targets for assigned territory and customers, both individually and for the team. Consistently achieve those objectives. Understand the price-volume relationship. Achieve profitable business with sound margins that optimize returns for the business.
- Customer Service and Relationships. Ensure the execution of customer business plans and strategies while delivering premier customer service. Establish strong working relationships with key strategic customers and identify opportunities to further penetrate upward and across the customer organization. Facilitate coordination among domestic and international account managers to service multi-national customers.
- Team Development. Develop the sales team's skills, knowledge, and abilities through targeted training programs and activities. Provide coaching and mentoring in the market to team members. Identify and understand individual performance opportunities and take actions to improve related skills and abilities.
- Team Performance. Establish and assign volume and gross margin goals for team members, ensuring that overall targets are met. Establish sales incentive programs to promote results in a way that is consistent with company values. Monitor on-going performance against targets and take appropriate action to ensure successful performance.
- Teamwork and Collaboration. Function as a key member of the management team. Provide leadership among internal partners including Sales Operations, Plant Operations, Customer Service, Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, Research & Development, and Technical Services to support and achieve growth-oriented volume and revenue goals and objectives. Work to resolve any major issues that arise and work to identify and improve internal processes that have a major effect on sales. Establish and maintain strong relationships with colleagues.
- Leadership. Act with integrity. Treat others with dignity and respect. Model behavior that is consistent with core values of the business. Deliver on commitments and deadlines and hold others accountable for the same.
Communication. Effectively communicate with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate excellent presentation, oral, and written communication skills. Execute outstanding customer communication and relationship building techniques.
- Demonstrated Business Acumen. Understand cause and effect relationships with regard to variables that impact the business viability of the organization. Demonstrate high-level understanding of the price-volume relationship.
- The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors' degree in a related field
- 15+ years of progressive experience in commercial food sales
- 8+ years of experience managing sales personnel
- Experience developing and managing strategic customer relationships
- Experience in the dairy industry or ingredient industry preferred
- Certification and/or License -- N/A
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High level of proficiency with sales planning, both short-term and strategic planning
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Able to convince others to enthusiastically support new initiatives
- Strong analytical ability
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and direct the work of others
- Must be innovative as well as performance and quality driven
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or relevant software packages
- Experienced in customer relationship software
- Must be able to read, write and speak English
- 50 - 75% (up to 2 weeks per month)