Smithfield Foods, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Operations Shift Manager- Distribution Center
at Smithfield Foods, inc.
- Job Locations
- Supply Chain
- FLSA Status
The Operations Manager in a Distribution Center is responsible for managing daily activities at the DC involving transportation, warehousing and related services to achieve customer service, satisfaction and cost objectives.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Directs subordinate management team in efficient and safe warehouse operations.
- Directs and delegates assignments of operational warehouse functions; including planning, implementation and leading improvement initiatives.
- Manages and monitors labor expenses and weekly payroll.
- Executes established safety and security programs.
- Inspects physical conditions of warehouses/equipment. Recommends maintenance, repair, or replacement as necessary.
- Develops and documents standard and emergency operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing, shipping, or salvaging products/materials.
- Reviews workforce staffing to ensure proper levels to meet business demands.
- Ensures proper protocols relative to quality assurance and food safety policies.
- Oversees Safety Committee initiatives.
- Partners with Customer Service, Deployment, Transportation Operations and DC Management to support customer orders and provides expected service levels.
- Reviews operational issues impacting customer service /costs.
- Ensures fair, equitable and consistent treatment for department associates.
- Hosts local, state and federal inspections.
- Reviews business requests for special warehouse services.
- Works with DC's on OS&D occurrences.
- Provides support for company sponsored events and community involvement programs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business Logistics or related field and 5+ years of distribution center/plant shipping leadership experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Hands-on related warehouse experience highly desired (Ideally in meat or food distribution).
- Knowledge of refrigerated carrier industry, shipments of perishable products and DC operations.
- Experience with SAP, WMS computer systems, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Distribution Center.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to move and/or lift 50 pounds and occasionally required to move and/or lift more than 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The distribution center environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.